Seeing as my Revv It Up playlist (yes I use two Vs, I have no explanation) contains more than 160 songs I figured I’d give a few more of the songs off of it. I have always been motivated by music no matter what it is that I’m doing. When I was doing mundane, tedious office work, I worked very well to the audio books for Harry Potter (yes I know that’s not music). When I do yoga I like to play meditative, instrumental music. When I work around the house I like something fun that I can dance and sing along with. Music is seemingly hardwired into me. So, without further ado, 2 more dongs for sweating:
1) AC/DC – Big Gun. What better song to listen to while breaking a sweat? I remember this song specifically because of the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie Last Action Hero so whenever I hear it I think of Arnie busting heads and kicking ass.
2) All American Rejects – Gives You Hell. Truly, I hope while I’m at the gym sweating, slaving, and pushing myself and you’re sitting at home wishing for a better body that my success makes you insane. Maybe then you’ll get off your butt and come join me.
3) Black Crowes – Hard to Handle. Honestly, this song goes through my head while I’m working out even if I’m not listening to it. It’s sort of like a goal for me to earn this description.
4) Eagles – Life in the Fast Lane. Just a great song to pump me up and move me on through a hard work out. I have no intention of “living fast, dying young, and leaving a beautiful corpse” as the old saying went. I want to work out hard, live fully, and skid to the end sideways with enough scars for the medical examiner to want to read my body like an autobiography. But the song is an awesome motivator.
5) Fall Out Boy – Sugar, We’re Going Down. Yes I damn well AM going down swinging! I will not let go of my health and happiness without a fight.
6) Gary Allen – Wrecking Ball. I want all of my hard work and the toned, strong figure it leaves me with to hit you like a wrecking ball when you see me.
7) Hank Williams Jr. – A Country Boy Can Survive. This is one of those songs that just reminds me to push through the pain of a hard set. When I’m trying to level up and I feel like I just can’t push out those last couple of reps, guess what: I can!
8) John Mellencamp – R.O.C.K. in the USA. Okay this one just has a really great beat. And seriously, have you ever listened to it and not wanted to sing along and get moving?
9) Korn – Hollow Life. This song is a bit more down beat which makes it a great mellow interval. After a few minutes of pushing hard and fast, this is the rest in between that keeps my motivation from dying while I take a breather.
10) Live – All Over You. Another hard driving, motivation blasting song. Nothing special about the lyrics, really, just a great pounding tempo.
11) Megadeth – Angry Again. This song is a great beast mode song. It’s an excellent lifting song, especially when you’re pushing the weight you just don’t think you can control.
12) Nine Inch Nails – Terrible Lie. Pretty much the same as above. Just a great motivator but also reminds me not to believe all the people who think being healthy means just doing tons of cardio and that lifting is for dudes.
13) Offspring – Not the One. Oh yes, working out really is about correcting past mistakes just as much as it is just being healthy. This song kind of speaks to that and pushes me up to the next level of my work out.
14) Papa Roach – Blood (Empty Promises). Does it run in your blood to betray the ones you love? It sure as hell doesn’t run in my blood and I will not betray myself and my hard work in the gym.
15) Red Hot Chili Peppers – Slow Cheetah. This is one of my slow, “take a breather” songs that are welcome in the midst of pushing through harder sets.
16) Saving Able – She Got Over Me. Losing weight is another form of breaking up for me so this song always make me think of the fat that I’m melting away.
17) Trace Adkins – Fightin’ Words. A great song for a second wind, even if you don’t need it. Just an all-around “push through the pain” kind of song.
18) U2 – Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. This song has a great tempo for lower intensity sets, or a rest between hard pushes.
19) Vertical Horizon – You’re a God. This is one of those songs that always seems to come on right at that moment when that fleeting thought of, “god I want to quit!” flits through my head. I’ve pushed myself to the point of nausea on several occasions and this song is that reassuring one that makes me work through it.
20) White Zombie – More Human Than Human. BEAST MODE ACTIVIATED. There are few to no Rob Zombie or White Zombie songs that don’t automatically throw me into beast mode. They’re just awesome songs that really pump the adrenaline and make me work.